Monday, September 14, 2009

Vocabulary gluttony

Twitter has been acting disobedient lately, and by that I mean it won't upload anything I write on it -- thereby forsaking one of its two reasons for existence. So I'm back here, where it's a bit more lonely but at least I can write as many words as I want.

I just want to share with the world the glory of dictionary.com's Word of the Day. When I got today's Word of the Day message in my inbox I took a glance at the word and immediately blew it off as urbandictionary.com's Word of the Day, which is generally far less interesting. But I took a double take and immediately realized I was staring at my newest word to be used way too much in daily conversation. So without further ado, dictionary.com's September 14th Word of the Day:

crap⋅u⋅lous

–adjective
1. given to or characterized by gross excess in drinking or eating.
2. suffering from or due to such excess.


Apparently that is actually a word. A quick search revealed that it indeed carries some legitimacy -- the New York Times has printed it 115 times since 1851. That's almost once a year!

One such printing is in a book review from 1985 in which the author refers to her youth thusly: "In the desert years of long ago, when I was a deluded young would-be writer tangled up in my own crapulous ambition...." Funny how the struggles of a young writer can be made to sound so romantic.

In related news, it's good to know this exists:

No comments: