Saturday, September 20, 2008

I don't know what to do with myself

You've heard that White Stripes song.

I just don't know what to do with myself... the words stroll sultry out of Meg White's mouth.

But there's more to that song than obvious sexual undertones. Or maybe there isn't.

As you get older, opportunities to do something for the first time seem to become fewer. Actually on second thought, it doesn't have to be that way. Seize the day, old people! I guess what I'm trying to say is this is my first blog post ever. I've had facebook, myspace, and livejournal, but this somehow seems different. It feels like my first time. Awkward but exciting, and that's a rare mix.

What do I do with this blog of mine? It's a big step I've just taken. I've officially just joined my Gen Y us? brethren in creating my own open forum for the world to read.

  • 97% own a computer
  • 97% have downloaded music and other media using peer-to-peer file sharing
  • 94% own a cell phone
  • 76% use instant messaging and social networking sites
  • 75% of college students have a Facebook account
  • 60% own some type of portable music and/or video device such as an iPod
  • 49% regularly download music and other media using peer-to-peer file sharing
  • 34% use websites as their primary source of news
  • 28% author a blog and 44% read blogs
  • 15% of IM users are logged on 24 hours a day/7 days a week
I was starting to feel totally mainstream until I saw that last one. Let's not think about middle school anymore.

Maybe it's not that big of a deal. I can use this blog in any way, really. I can use it to drop trou and bare my ass and/or soul to the world. Or I can just let it sit idly, collecting virtual dust and disappointing the 1-2 people who know it exists.

Only time will tell, but I plan to at least post things that I've written for other outlets (i.e. Oberlin Review op-eds and interviews). I'll probably do my fair share of kvetching too. (I really just wanted to use the word 'kvetch.') So if I start kvetching ad nauseam someone tell me! Seriously that's what the 'add comment' tool is for.

No comments: